Your hard drive is a critically important component of your computer. Without it, your machine is not much more than a glorified calculator. Your laptop or desktop computer needs data to be of any real use. While you can access data stored in the cloud, your system’s hard drive provides fast, local access to data required to run applications and store files, photos, and videos that are important to you.
Today’s generation of hard drives are very reliable and you can expect your HDD to function properly for many years. There are exceptions, and you can have a disc that malfunctions and leads to data loss. You can also experience lost or deleted documents and files for a variety of reasons. In order to retrieve your files, you may need to use hard drive data recovery software. It can help you recover from a number of data loss situations.
Table of Contents
- How to Recover Data From Your Hard Drive
- Disk Drill – Trusted Hard Drive Recovery Software
- Woah, an Important File Has Lost From Your Hard Drive. What Are the Possible Reasons?
- Pros & Cons of HDD Recovery Software
- How to Protect Files on Your Hard Drive From Accidental Deletion
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
To recover data from a hard drive follow these steps:
- Download and install Disk Drill.
- Launch the application.
- Select the disk to be used for the recovery.
- Click the Search for lost data button to scan your disk.
- Preview the recoverable files.
- Select the files to be recovered and their new storage location.
- Click the Recover button to perform the file recovery.
Disk Drill is a full-featured data recovery application which can be run on the Windows and macOS platforms. It’s a great tool for HDD data recovery as well as for recovering erased data from external storage devices. Here are some of the features that should make it your go-to hard disk recovery solution.
Advanced scanning algorithms
Disk Drill employs scanning algorithms that can identify and reconstruct files in hundreds of different file formats. You can use the application’s quick and deep scanning routines to regain access to lost and deleted files, even from an emptied Recycle Bin.
Disk Drill’s intuitive interface allows you to start an HDD recovery with just a few clicks. It enables you to filter on files during a scan, reducing the time required to search for deleted data.
This application can be used to recover data from your hard drive as well as any removable storage device that can be connected to the computer on which it is running.
Extra data protection and maintenance tools
Disk Drill provides the user with free features designed to help you keep your disk in good shape and protect your data. They allow you to view duplicate files (upcoming feature) that are on your drive so they can be deleted to save space. You can use Disk Drill to produce disk image copies that can be used for data recovery purposes. Recovery Vault is a feature that protects files from accidental deletion.
Suddenly realizing that you have lost or missing files can be a very disturbing experience. The files may contain important information or be photos or videos that cannot be replaced. Panic can be your first response, but data recovery software can help you perform a hard drive recovery. Why did you lose the data in the first place? Data loss can occur for a number of reasons.
Here are some of the most common causes of missing files and folders on your HD.
- Human error – Data loss is often caused by some degree of human error. This can range from mistakenly deleting a bunch of files to accidentally formatting the wrong disk partition. As long as computers are used by imperfect humans, data loss will always be a lingering problem.
- Faulty or incomplete upgrades – Unexpected data loss can result from a system or application upgrade that does not perform as anticipated. This can leave you with missing files that need to be recovered in order to get your system working correctly again.
- Malware and virus attacks – If your system is infected with malware or a virus you may experience data loss. Many of these malicious programs are designed to cause chaos by deleting data on the machines that they infect.
- Hardware or system malfunctions – A damaged hard drive can lead to data loss. You may detect signs such as strange noises from your hard drive that indicate it may be experiencing physical problems. Power spikes can also damage your hard drive and cause you to lose data.
- Natural disasters – Physical damage from shock or water will usually result in data loss.
Here are some of the Pros and Cons of using HDD recovery software.
Here are a few tips on protecting the data on your hard drive from accidental deletion.
- Take regular backups of your data. This is the number one way to protect your data. If you are not backing up your machine regularly you should start doing so today.
- Employ a quality anti-virus tool to minimize your chances of encountering a malware attack.
- Keep your firmware and operating system updated.
- Use a surge protector to guard against power spikes that can cause electrical damage to your hard drive.
- Do not use your computer in extremely hot or humid conditions.
- Exercise care when deleting files or formatting disks to ensure that you are making the right decisions.